None of President Donald Trumps Republican challengers will appear on the primary ballot in Minnesota, the state Republican Party said.
The party gave Trumps name to the Secretary of States office last week. State law gives the party the power to keep candidates off the ballot and doesnt allow changes after the submission of a name or names.
“President Trump is extremely popular in Minnesota and my job as Chairwoman is to make sure we deliver our 10 electoral votes to the President on November 3, 2020,” Republican Party Chair Jennifer Carnahan said in a written statement.
Former South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford invoked North Korea in interviews with Minnesota outlets while complaining about the decision.
“The idea that were taking our cues from North Korea or the Soviet Union in terms of voter access and voter participation just seems weird to me,” Sanford told the Minneapolis Star Tribune.
Lucy Caldwell, campaign manager for former Rep. Joe Walsh (R-Ill.), said the move was “appalling but unsurprising news, given the hold that Trumps cult of personality has over some of these state party leaders.”
Walsh said in a statement on Twitter: “One person. In one state. Just disenfranchised every Republican voter in that state. This isnt America. This cant be allowed to stand. Im going to Minnesota in the next day or two to raise hell. Wholl join me?”
Former Massachusetts Gov. Bill Weld, the third candidate vying for the GOP nomination, hasnt commented on the issue.
Trump has high levels of support within the Republican party, with polls often showing 90 percent Read More – Source