US Politics

Labor Secretary Acosta defends handling of Jeffrey Epstein case

Embattled Labor Secretary Alexander Acosta defended himself Wednesday against charges that he mishandled a sex trafficking case involving billionaire financier Jeffrey Epstein, refused to apologize to the accused pervs victims and pointed the finger at state prosecutors.

Acosta said that as the US Attorney in Florida more than a decade ago he decided to offer Epstein a sweetheart no-prosecution deal on federal charges because state prosecutors were supposedly ready to let him walk free.

“The district attorney of Palm Beach county recommended a single charge and that charge resulted in no jail time at all. No registration as a sexual offender and no restitution to the victims,” Acosta said during a news conference at the Department of Labor that multiple reports said had been ordered by President Trump, who had defended his Cabinet official the day before.

“So, simply put, the Palm Beach state attorneys office was willing to let Epstein walk free, no jail time, nothing,” he continued.

“Prosecutors in my former office found this to be completely unacceptable and they became involved.”

He said they arranged the no-prosecution deal so that Epstein could plead guilty to state charges because the feds didnt want to “roll the dice and bring a federal indictment.“

Asked if he owed Epsteins victims an apology, Acosta declined to respond directly.

He also said that he believed he had the full confidence of Trump, and he repeated that he was happy that Epstein had been charged.

“I am pleased that the New York prosecution has gone forward. This is a very, very good thing,” he said.

The deal has come under fresh scrutiny after a Miami Herald investigation shed new light

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close