Selections based on a soft to heavy track.
Race 1 –1:15PM SCHWEPPES PLATE (1300 METRES)
5. Merlinite is very easy to like first-up since chasing home the smart Scarlet Dream back in November. Even more encouraging is her impressive trial win on a soft track a couple of weeks ago. If she runs up to her last start and her trial she should win.
Dangers: 1. Banteux hasnt raced since August where he produced his best effort in three starts to date at Canterbury. No public trials so be guided by the market. Hes the one looking most dangerous. 6. Recording To Win ran up to win over this trip at Scone when resuming but was outgunned late. Two wet track runs have been fair but shes in her second prep now and might be stronger. Keep in mind. 4. Flight Zone seemed to have her chance when breaking into the placings for the first time at Bathurst on March 17, she'd have to improve to win this but could place.
How to play it: Merlinite WIN.
Race 2 – 1:50PM TAB STAND ALONE SATURDAY HANDICAP (1600 METRES)
5. China Gale is ready to win third-up after two nice efforts, including chasing home the promising Amangiri in a similar race last week. No match for the winner there but he was stronger than anything else on the line. Very hard to beat.
Dangers: 3. Shadow Flight started 100-1 but really attacked the line late over 1400m at Warwick Farm two weeks ago and theres less depth in this event. Third-up and out to his preferred trip hes one of the major chances. 2. Redemption Road carried 61kg to win here two starts back then struck a heavy track for the first time and battled on okay in a stronger race here last week. Well worth another chance. 1. Brother In Arms has largely been racing in better company of late with mixed results. Some hope here on his fourth at Canterbury two starts ago but will want an improving track.
How to play it: China Gale WIN.
Race 3 – 2.25PM HAWKESBURY GAZETTE HANDICAP (1000 METRES)
6. Dizzy Miss Lizzy is having her first race on a wet track but her second trial this time suggests she can handle it fine and that she can sit off the speed if needed. Too good back in October winning her maiden at Nowra and while this is a step up its in a winnable race.
Dangers: 2. Omar was outclassed in a Listed race before a spell but did show ability with two wins prior to that. Trial winner at the start of the month, query on a very wet track but goes close if he gets through it. 3. Yulong Wain led and was run down at Goulburn a few weeks ago and is yet to prove himself in the wet. That aside when hes raced in the right class hes been competitive so dont overlook. 5. Buckin Beauty started huge odds but didnt disgrace in the Wyong Magic Millions race back in December. Rarely far away and is capable of a placing.
How to play it: Box Quinella 2,3,6.
Race 4 – 3.05PM POLYTRACK HANDICAP (1100 METRES)
1. Chilled Rose has her chance to break the maiden status this time. No luck two starts ago at Gosford when wide all the way then bumped into a pretty strong maiden at Warwick Farm two weeks ago and stayed on OK for fourth. Everything made to order for her here.
Dangers: 4. Dubai Harbour disappointed on debut a year ago but given plenty of time and hes looked good winning two trials at Randwick leading into this. Back as a gelding, expect hell be up on the speed and has to be respected. 7. Impurity made it six career seconds in 15 starts and might have been a bit stiff not to break through when runner-up here two weeks ago. No worries on a wet track, its just a matter of the planets aligning for her. 5. Able Fun is a bit of a mystery first-up since October without a trial but his lone placing to date came on a heavy track, so if theres support for him it could be significant.
How to play it: Chilled Rose WIN; Trifecta 1/ 4,5,7/4,5,7.
Race 5 – 3.40PM BIDFOOD PROV & COUNTRY HANDICAP (1300 METRES)
4. Silk Touch is well worth another chance after having excuses on debut where she raced wide and copped a bump on the turn. Beaten a bit over three lengths and had trialled well prior. Extra distance is a big plus and shes a likely improver.
Dangers: 1. Dont Judge Me has been thereabouts in three runs this time in and wouldnt have to improve a lot on his last start second at Newcastle to be in the finish. Not conclusively proven in the wet but worth the risk. 3. Niccirose will be fitter for a first-up fourth at Bathurst though he did lead there and knocked up. Open to improvement in a winnable race. 6. Shadow Ace had some support on debut at this track and beat just the one home. Was trialling well going into that so might pay to forgive.
How to play it: Silk Touch E/W.
Race 6 – 4:20PM SKY RACING PLATE (1500 METRES)
Tactics changes might be significant here with 7. Achondrite who was run down by Mizzy after leading on debut on a soft track then went back and didnt make any significant ground behind Fasika on a good track. Up in distance and if she leads shell take catching.
Dangers: 9. Ivira was only a couple of lengths behind Achondrite in the Mizzy race and latest effort she ran on well from last at Kembla on a heavy track. Racing well enough to see her in the finish somewhere. 5. Taj contested the same race as Ivira at Kembla and was an even fifth without being eye-catching. Shown enough to suggest he can improve here. 2. Aurman Zou was never in the hunt resuming behind Green Aeon but his two wet track runs have been his best so theres a fair chance he can Read More – Source