Author: Shounaz MekkyID: 1546891726600071300Mon, 2019-01-07 23:08
JEDDAH: The Arab Coalition has praised the efforts of the UN team assigned to monitor the cease-fire in the flashpoint port of Hodeidah.
The retired Dutch Major General Patrick Cammaert is overseeing the team keeping track of the agreement reached last month in Sweden.
Under the deal, the Houthis and forces loyal to the Yemeni government were expected to withdraw from Hodeidah city, with a cease-fire expected to come into effect in the entire governorate.
Col. Turki Al-Maliki, spokesman for the coalition which supports the government, said there had been continuous violations committed by the Iran-backed Houthis ever since the cease-fire came into effect on Dec. 28.
Speaking in Riyadh on Monday, Al-Maliki said there have been 368 violations recorded so far, adding that the militia continues to breach the Sweden deal.
He said the Houthi militia continues to dig trenches, and use dirt mounds to camouflage and store weapons inside them.
Last week, the World Food Program said the Houthis had been diverting desperately needed aid and selling it for their own profit.