The Hawks fall short against Carey Park | SWFL

Wind and rain failed to deter Carey Park from clinching victory in round eight of this years South West Football League competition.

Carey Park was sitting in second place prior to the clash, despite losing to Harvey-Brunswick-Leschenault in round seven.

The Panthers were tied for points with the Hawks, HBL, Eaton Boomers, and Bunbury.

The sun shone on both sides as the opening bouncedown commenced.

Despite playing against an intimidating easterly wind, Augusta-Margaret River got off on the right foot.

After kicking the opening goal, the Hawks came close to going two goals up. Luke Furlongs kick looked promising before the ball drifted into the goal post.

Unperturbed by the cold weather, Hawks Furlong and Jacob Oakess efforts put Carey Park in trouble midway through the term.

The Panthers struggled to clear the ball outside of the Hawks forward 50, while the visitors found free targets around the ground.

Carey Park was stunned by Augusta-Margaret Rivers form, as the Hawks ran out to a 27-point lead.

Goals from Panthers Riese Wilkey and Eli Hill brought the margin back to 13 just before quarter time.

Shrinking the gap to seven, Wilkeys second goal pulled the Panthers back into the contest.

Augusta-Margaret Rivers defenders failed to prevent Panther Timothy Yarrans snap kick from drifting through the goal posts.

As the cold wind and torrential rain kicked in, tempers flared around the ground. Players on both sides came close to throwing fists. The Hawks held the lead at half time, with the Panthers not too far behind.

Following spectacular goals from Jacob Payne and Jack Hick, Augusta-Margaret River looked set to take home the four points.

After fending off defenders and taking the mark with one hand, Hick stepped up to put his set shot through the posts.

Kicking his third goal of the game, Wilkey was key to the Panthers impressive third quarter performance.

The home side kept play in its forward 50 and tested the Hawks backline throughout the third term.

Carey Park threatened the visitors lead, as Tyler Chalwell slotted his set shot comfortably from 50 metres out.

Just before three quarter time, Wilkeys fourth goal saw the Panthers take the lead for the first time in the game.

Goals from Kieran King and Hill ensured a nine-point lead for Carey Park at three quarter time.

Increasing their chances in the fourth quarter, the Hawks made a solid effort to reclaim the lead.

It was not to be, with the Hawks booting five consecutive attempts through the point posts early in the final term.

Beau Morgan and Jordan Veitchs goals kept the visitors in contention, before Panthers Yarran and Wilkey put the game out of reach. Carey Park remains second on the ladder thanks to its 13.9.87 to 11.12.78 win.

Donnybrook sits ontop of the leaderboard following its 11.8.74 to 4.7.31 victory against Busselton on Saturday.

Chris Atthowe delivered a best-on-ground performance and four goals, while Donnybrook Favourite Samual Lowrie kicked two.

Harvey-Brunswick-Leschenault remains in contention for finals football thanks to a 28-point win over Collie at home.

Fighting off torrential rain and cold conditions, the Lions formidable first quarter display assisted in their 10.14.74 to 7.4.46 win.

Achieving a 9.12.66 to 8.5.53 win over Eaton Boomers at Glen Huon Reserve, South Bunbury now sits fifth on the ladder.

Bunbury resides just outside the top three after clinching a narrow victory over Harvey Bulls on Sunday.

The Bulldogs survived a fourth quarter comeback from the Bulls, going on to win 11.10.76 to 10.10.70.

[contf] [contfnew]

Margaret River Mail

[contfnewc] [contfnewc]

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button